SEND Local Offer
What is a Local Offer?
In all sections of this Directory you may see the wording "Local Offer". What does it mean for you as a parent/carer of a child with Special Educational Needs or a Disability?
Darlington Borough Council has to produce a Local Offer for parents and carers of children with Special Educational Needs and/or a Disability (SEND). The purpose of the Local Offer is to ‘offer’ information for parents, in a single place, which helps them to understand what services they and their family can expect from a range of local agencies including:
- what the law says they may be entitled to;
- what is available for their child from early years settings, schools (including academies and free schools), colleges and other services;
- what is available from education, health and social care.
It covers children and young people from birth to 25.
If you would like a general overview of services and support available in Darlington for families of children with Special Educational Needs and/or Disability, you can search in each of the boxes below.
SEN High Needs Review and Capital Funding
The Local Authority and the Parent Carer Forum are currently engaged in a strategic development of SEND including a review of High Needs provision and the associated funding.
Although this is at an early stage the Parent Carer Forum and Local Authority Officers are very keen to ensure that the SEN Strategy and Capital Funding bid reflects the hopes, aspirations and wishes of Children and Young People in Darlington.
From the initial analysis of SEND need in Darlington (which is part of the high needs review), it is clear that we have a need to develop Early Years multi-disciplinary provision, for early and earlier identification of need; provision for pupils with challenging behaviours both in Primary and Secondary, and to ensure that there is smooth transition throughout 0-25.
The Local Authority and the Parent Carer Forum have worked together on various workstreams, which include:
- Parent Carer Forum annual conference – One Plan Reviews in Autumn 2016
- Training session for Parents and Carers on the graduated response and the SEN Code of Practice – Autumn 2017
- Consultation on Pathways/SEND Graduated Response – Summer 2017
- Parent Carer Forum annual conference in Autumn 2017 – with NHS colleagues, Graduated Response a key theme
- Training offered on Graduated Response and EHC Plans in Schools – Autumn 2017
- Collaboration workshop to gather views on graduated response in Spring 2018
- Consultation around Questionnaires sent to parents as part of the EHC Process
- Consultation on the new EHC Template.
The Parent Carer Forum have been updated on the development of the high needs review, of which the SEN capital grant plan is part, at recent Parent Carer Forum meetings and will continue to be involved as set out in the SEN Capital Funding Plan which can be accessed below.
- High Needs Review Update March 2018 [PDF document]
- A Strategic Analysis of Special Education Needs in Darlington [PDF document]
- SEN Capital Funding Plan [PDF document]
- Special Provision Plan [PDF document]
Was this information helpful?